Happy New Year!!
Every year, on the 31st of December, as the clock creeps closer to midnight with our glasses full as we ready for the new year, the most popular question is:
What will your new year resolutions be?
Once the clock strikes midnight, and we hit the new year – some with hangovers and some with incredible exuberance, we find that people will either embrace those resolutions, or forget them altogether.
So, what is the key to carrying through with those resolutions. How do you become personally accountable for those resolutions?
Here are some suggestions on how to stick to the plans toward a new you:
1. Be realistic – honestly, when you said that you wanted to live on the moon in 2020 – was that seriously an achievable goal? Possibly not – set goals that you have a good chance of achieving. Goals which are set that turn out to be unrealistic will set you up for failure.
2. Be true to yourself – when you set goals, make sure they are in alignment with your dreams and desires, not someone else’s.
3. Be prepared to put some effort into reaching your goals. If you were say studying for Year 12 in 2020, and wanted to be a rocket scientist, but you weren’t prepared to study the right subjects – would you really become a rocket scientist? Maybe not.
4. Write it down, make it happen! One of the best tips on making goals come to fruition is to write it down. Be specific – if you want to set a goal for a deposit toward a house in 2020, work out what you need and how you are going to achieve it – write it down!
5. Visualise it. If you are dreaming of a holiday on the tropical island of Hawaii, don’t picture yourself buying ski gear at the next Aldi sale!
6. Work out what you need to support you in achieving those goals. Thinking about weight loss? That’s great – but you need to have the right information to help you get there and a plan to be accountable over that journey.
7. Don’t let your promises get you down. Remember, we are all human! Nobody is perfect, just remember that when you get a little side-tracked that takes you off course, that you just need to get back onto where you want to go!
If one of your new years resolutions is to save money for a deposit, or to buy your first home, why not give us a call and find out how we can support you in reaching that goal?